Both natural and human-made sources can lead to water damage, and different disasters like hurricanes, storms, flooding, pipe leaks, sewage backups, and appliance malfunctions can all cause water damage in and around your home. No matter what the cause of the problem is, it is important that you address it right away because the effects can be severe and can ruin your property.
If you ever come across water damage on your property, there are things you should do to prevent the damage from spreading further while you wait for professional help to arrive. There are also certain things that you should not do if you want to limit the damage, so make sure you keep the following tips in mind:
What to do:
- The first thing you need to do is call a water restoration company, as you may not be the only one dealing with water damage.
- Do your best to contain the water within the affected area and remove as much standing water as possible by mopping it. You can also blot the area dry using a towel.
- Wipe down the furniture pieces that have been affected and place a piece of foil between the furniture legs and wet flooring materials.
- Remove all of your area rugs from your wet floors and turn on the ventilation system to air out the affected areas.
- If you have drapes, lift them off the floor by looping them through a coat hanger and hanging them on the curtain rod.
- Move any artwork and pictures to a safe and dry place and remove your wet fabrics so that you can hang them up to dry right away.
- Open all of your closet doors, furniture drawers, and luggage to allow them to dry.
What NOT to do:
- Never use a vacuum cleaner to remove standing water, and do not place newspaper on the floor.
- Do not go into any rooms with electrical or structural damage, and do not question whether or not you should call a water restoration professional because this is a must.
- If you have carpeting that is tacked down, do not lift it up.
- Never attempt to clean up sewage water yourself.
- Never use any electrical appliances while you are standing on wet floors or carpets.
These steps will help with the restoration process and will prevent the damage from becoming worse. Calling a professional water damage restoration company should be a priority because they have the knowledge, tools, and skills to help with water emergencies. The water that affects your property can be clean or polluted, and a professional company will be able to determine the source and will proceed with the cleanup process accordingly.
Royal Carpet Cleaning will help ensure your home and flooring are in order, so if you ever experience water damage, we can help. We service the Brampton, Hamilton, Milton, Mississauga, Oakville, and Burlington areas, so give us a call today!